Monday 9 September 2013

Day1 - Quit Sugar 8 week program

My little man helping mum peel almonds
As expected today was a good day. 

Motivation - high

Energy Levels - great

Weight 72.4kgs

Gross Detoxy feelings - none

Sugary foods consumed - soy milk in my morning latte
 
Tough spot -  I did have a moment this afternoon at a friend's house when I was offered some bran cake which sounded oh-so-healthy but alas there was sugar in it.  So I waited until I got home and had a latte with A2 milk and one of the zest n' poppy sugar free bikkies that I made yesterday and felt great.  Even while making the kids popcorn I didn't feel the urge to snack away the afternoon as has been my style lately.
 
I weighed in this morning as well just to keep an eye on what's happening weight wise.  While weight loss isn't my ultimate goal I am really curious to see what happens on the scales and as long as I can keep my exercise levels up I should be losing fat instead of muscle.
 
The chia pudding that I mentioned I had made for this morning's breakfast I thought was really tasty and filling and my husband thought is wasn't too bad but the kids weren't loving it so I am going to have a play with it to see if I can make it more palateable for the kids.  I'll let you know how I go. 
 
The chickpea bombs again were enjoyed by my husband but not so much by my 6 year old but I had a proud mum moment when she explained that although she didn't love them she still ate them because she had swimming at school today and she needed the energy.  That's my clever girl!!
 
The little man and I peeled our almonds this morning and have had them in the oven ever since.  Can't wait to try these tomorrow when they are properly dried out.
 
Here's how we did it
 

Activated Almonds

 1 cup almonds
enough water to cover almonds and an extra 1" at the top
1tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt to taste (we used Himalayan Rock Salt but it's up to you)
 
Cover almonds with water and leave to soak overnight
In the morning peel off the skins, so that you have blanched almonds
Place almonds in a bowl and mix through vinegar and salt.
Place in the oven on he lowest setting you have and cook for 12-24hrs or whenever they feel crunchy.
 
(adapted from the I Quit Sugar e-cookbook)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment