Tuesday 23 July 2013

The (Over)thinker

Looks like I'm not the only one!!
So I admit it I'm guilty.  Guilty of being one of those people who manages to procrastinate indefinitely by overthinking, overanalyzing and over-complicating.  It's not that I don't want to complete the task, on the contrary, jobs I don't like I usually push through and get them out of the way so that they don't hang around like a monkey on my back.  No the things I put off and off and off are nearly always things that I am excited and passionate about.  Take this blog for example.
 
I love thinking and I love writing.  So writing about what I was thinking about was something that got my heart pumping.  I had plans, big plans.  I was going to write amazing, article like posts that would have the reader thinking and making positive changes to their own lives.  I wanted to offer up something that was well thought through and well researched. 
 
I have a list a mile long of the things I want to write about but the second I start following my mind down  a path I would undoubtedly find more things I should consider putting in my post, more paths to follow and I would need to research them of course to ensure that I was always very factual.  I would tie my own brain up in knots over one simple little blog post.  Guess what happened.  I stopped writing anything because it all got far too hard and I didn't have the time to go and fact check everything little thing I thought about.
 
I know I do this in other parts of my life as well.  The unfinished novel (I had plans to make it a series, big plans), up-cycling old clothing, replanting the garden, personal training, cleaning up our streets, helping out friends.  You name it, I've over-thought it into extinction.
 
Not that I'm suggesting that thinking is a bad thing.  In fact I would say that planning is one of my strong points (I have even worked as a planner.)  I'm great at organizing holidays, planning out a busy week, undertaking projects for various committees, organizing the kids.  When I get the balance right, I am a work of organized art.  The trick as always is getting the balance right.
 
So what to do?  I'm planning on tapping into that wonderful tool we have called gut instinct and trusting that I can do things without over-doing them.  I'm going to learn to seize the moment and just do it, whatever it is and in the process learn to let go of the outcome as the journey is far more important than the destination anyway.  When am I going to start?  I just did.
 
Your balance buddy X
 
Are you an over-thinker?

No comments:

Post a Comment